Not many people realize how a typical day goes for a “helper” at a moving and storage company. Throughout my time at All Brunswick Van Lines, I only heard a few customers say that they used to do this when they were my age or that they appreciate the work. It was early mornings, late nights, ninety-five degree weather, below zero degree weather, and plenty of problems involving aches, pains, traffic, and the trucks. Oh, and A LOT of stairs.

Somehow through all of this, I really enjoyed my time at All Brunswick Van Lines. It must have been the rest of the gang that kept me going. Getting up at six AM to go sit on a truck for an hour or two wasn’t the most exciting, but I learned a lot from it and met some great individuals through this company. Not just handy-man skills like putting a dresser or table together, but life morals and hard working attributes. All of the drivers at All Brunswick were extremely personable. I would sit with them on a truck for the three months of summer and would learn everything about them and vice versa. It seemed that everyone was passionate about their job and wanted to make the best out of everything.  It makes sense for them to receive “Wheaton Agent Of The Month” as many times as they have.

Their professionalism carried over during the moves once we arrived at our customer’s abode. Every worker, including those with a language barrier, was able to bring out the confidence and cheerfulness of the customer we were helping. It was impressive how easy-going all of these guys were despite the stress involved in working as fast and smart as they did.

Moving is a stressful event for everyone involved (including my back), but I found a great appreciation for what the group of guys were able to do. Day in and day out, the same core helpers at All Brunswick would come in (sometimes before sunrise) and start loading and unloading trucks, throughout the east coast. If I was to make a mistake on the job, they would calmly tell me how to fix it. If a customer needed help moving a heavy piece of furniture, three different guys would ask to assist them. Everyone was so professional at all times. We would take a proper lunch break, but the second that last minute came to an end, the group would disperse and everyone was back in their section of the house efficiently wrapping and carrying furniture.

Every operation was run so smoothly. At sunrise some trucks were pulling in as others were just leaving the same loading dock. We loaded all the supplies for the day and were out of there, getting to the customer’s home right on time 85% of the time. The other 15% was when we were early and got to eat our breakfast outside in the truck. Those were the best mornings.

The estimates were always right on as well. The hours and poundage were always near perfect when the job was completed, so I knew when I was going to be able to put my feet up and rest each day. I was never misled by the estimate when I peeked in the folder for that day’s move. If it said four helpers, 8,500 lbs, and an estimated 6 hours, it was.

It was tiring, but it was well worth it, especially at such a well-run organization. Regardless of who I worked with, they always kept things moving along, and kept their customers happy. It was a very long summer working there each day, but it was always very educational.

Published by Derek Morgen